16 Facts That Sound Fake But Are 100% True
Here are 16 true facts that sound totally and completely fake but aren't. Get ready to have your mind blown.
- If you hold in your farts long enough, the gas can be re-absorbed and come out of your mouth. (The best way to deal with gas is to expel it)
- You're bioluminescent. That's right, you glow. The light just isn't perceptible to the human eye.
- Adding salt to pineapple makes it taste sweeter. This works because it suppresses the bitterness in the pineapple.
- You are 10 times more likely to get bit by a New Yorker than a shark. You're also more likely to get bit by a New Yorker than you are a rat in New York.
- Fir trees can grow in human lungs. A 28-year-old patient named Artyom Sidorkin reportedly inhaled the seed of a fir tree, which had sprouted and grown in his lung. Doctors thought they were dealing with a tumor and were stunned when they made the discovery.
- Your heartbeat will sync to the rhythm of the music that you're listening to. A study showed that crescendos led to a temporary increase in blood pressure and heart rate, which went back down during the decrescendo.
- The air you breathe in a train station is 15% human skin. If you think leaving a train station will save you from inhaling skin, just know that about 80% of the floating specs you see in a sun beam are also skin.
- Peaches and nectarines are the same fruit. A recessive gene can prevent them from being fuzzy and that's what makes the difference.
- Mosquitoes can smell which blood type you are. They're twice as likely to bite someone who is Type O as opposed to Type A.
- If you play music to a cheese wheel, the tunes will affect its flavor. Cheese wheels have the strongest flavor when they've listened to hip-hop. In a 2019 study that played classical, rock, electronic, and hip-hop to cheese wheels, the hip-hop wheel had a stronger flavor and aroma.
- The white lines that divide the road on highways are about 10 feet long. Also, the space between each line is 30 feet.
- TV commercials emit a tone inaudible to the human ear that your smartphone picks up, letting advertisers know that both devices might belong to you. This is one way in which advertisers work to deliver targeted ads to you.
- The average cloud weighs over a million pounds. By measuring the water inside the cloud in addition to the size of it, researchers can calculate the weight.
- Over 50% of pilots have admitted to falling asleep mid-flight. And of these pilots, 29% said that when they woke up, their co-pilot was asleep as well.
- Giraffes and humans have the same number of neckbones. Actually, all mammals do.
- If you unwind a roll of Scotch tape fast enough, it can "generate enough X-rays to image a human finger." You'd need to unwind the tape with a vacuum at three centimeters per second to generate that kind of power.